There’re three ways to add a friend on Steam:
- By Quick Invite Link
- By code
- By username
However, the platform offers a single option to add “limited” users, the Quick Invite link.
Add a Friend on Steam by Quick Invite Link:
New users, users without friends, or users who haven’t spent money on Steam have limited accounts. Use the custom link method to add them as friends.
- Go to the “Friends” menuGo to your username at the middle top, and click on “Friends.”
- Click on “Add a Friend”On the “Friends” menu, click on “Add a Friend.“
- Copy your custom link:Copy your custom user link, and send it to the person you want to add by email, WhatsApp (web), or similar.
- Let the other person knowThe other person has to open the link from their PC and click on “Add as Friend.”This process unlocks the feature to add friends on Steam. Therefore, it bypasses the need to add funds to unlock the feature.
Add a Friend on Steam by Username:
The more classical option requires you to know the person’s username.
- Search for your friendGo back to the Friends menu. Then, scroll down the page until you see the search bar. Here, type your friend’s username and press enter.
- Select your friendFinally, click on “Add as Friend” when you find the user you’re searching for.
Add a Friend on Steam by Code:
Lastly, there’s the code option if you can’t find the username.
- Copy your code, or make your friend copy his codeFirst, go back to your Friends menu. Then, copy the code and send it to the other person. Alternatively, your friend could copy his code and send it to you.
- Enter your friend’s code, or make your friend enter your codeSimilarly, enter your friend’s code on the “Enter” bar. Alternatively, your friend could copy his code and send it to you. Click “Send Invite” to finish the process.
Why Can’t I Add Friends on Steam?
If you don’t fulfill one of these two requisites, the “Add a Friend” feature won’t be available on your account. For example, if you’ve only played free games, you won’t be able to add a friend.
Similarly, if you’re trying to find the username of a “limited” account, you won’t find it. The only way is by using the Quick Invite link.
How to Add Friends on Steam Without Buying a Game?
If you haven’t spent at least $5 on Steam, your account is “limited.” Limited users can’t add friends on their own.
In other words, if you’re a new user, your Steam account does not meet the requirements to add friends. However, users with non-limited accounts can send you a friend request.
The only way is through the Quick Invite Link. By adding someone else as a friend through this method, you’ll unlock the community feature as well.
After you accept someone else’s Quick Invite link as a limited user, your account ceases to be limited.
- Tell a Steam friend to send you a Quick Invite linkTell a Steam friend to visit his Friends menu, copy his Quick Invite link, and send it to you via email.
- Log in to Steam on your web browserVisit the Steam Store site and log in.
- Click the link on your email inboxCheck your email’s inbox for the Quick Invite link, and click on it.
- Add the friendThe link allows you to add that person as a friend. Press the “Add as friend” option.
- Enjoy your community featureAfter you complete the process, Steam will unlock the feature to add other friends. For example, the photo above showcases a new account with the Add a Friend functionality.