- You can call privately by entering *67 before you dial a number, which hides your phone number and name.
- You can also make a call private by turning off caller ID for all outgoing calls using the settings on your iPhone or Android.
- By default, everyone you call sees your name and phone number thanks to caller ID.
Thanks to caller ID, every time you place a phone call you’re revealing your identity — or at least your name and phone number. But not everyone you call needs to know your phone number, and there are certainly times when you want to call privately, hiding your caller ID in the process.
There are several ways to block your phone number when you make a call, and they generally are quite easy to do.
How to hide your phone number using *67
The easiest way to hide your phone number is to use the code *67. This allows you to block your phone number so the recipient sees a message like “Private” instead of your name and number when your call is incoming.
This technique applies only to the call you’re currently making, so by default your phone number will display unless you dial *67 for the specific call you want to make private. An added benefit: It works on any phone, including landlines.
To use *67 to hide your number, open your phone’s dialer screen and tap *67 followed by the number you want to dial. It should look like this:
How to hide your phone number by default on iPhone
If you have an iPhone, you can configure the Phone app to always send calls privately, blocking your Caller ID.
1. Start the Settings app and then tap Phone.
2. Tap Show My Caller ID.
3. Turn off Show My Caller ID by swiping the button to the left.
How to hide your phone number by default on Android
You can also hide your phone number if you have an Android phone. The exact steps may vary slightly depending on which version of Android and which phone you have, but in general you should be able to find it this way.
1. Start the Phone app.
2. Tap the three-dot menu and tap Settings.
3. Tap Calls and then tap Additional settings.
4. Turn off Caller ID by swiping the button to the left.
How to hide your phone number through your cellular carrier
If you have an Android phone and have trouble finding the Caller ID settings, there’s another solution: You can generally ask your cellular carrier to hide your phone number by default.
To do that, call your mobile carrier’s customer support line and ask your customer support technician to make your phone number private. It should only take a few minutes to reconfigure your service, and if you ever want to place phone calls that show your phone number, you can dial *82 followed by the phone number. This is the opposite of *67 — it unhides your number on a per-call basis.