There are many media streaming devices in the market. Can they be used together to get more entertainment?
I had my Fire Stick plugged into the television after I finished watching a show on Netflix, I wanted to cast some media on my TV using the Chromecast.
However, I was too tired to unplug the Fire Stick. So I tried using Chromecast with Fire Stick. To my surprise, I could not use the two together.
Hence, I searched the internet to find a solution to see if I was doing something wrong.
You cannot use Chromecast with Firestick unless your television has Picture in Picture screen technology, which allows your device to function with two separate input sources.
I have prepared this article which covers all you need to know about using Chromecast with Fire Stick.
I have also talked about Miracast and using other devices with Fire Stick.
Does a Chromecast Work With a Fire Stick?
There are relatively few situations where you can use a Chromecast and a Fire Stick simultaneously.
Since they are different streaming devices, each will occupy a separate input spot on your TV.
If your TV is set to the input where your Fire Stick is, it makes no difference if your Chromecast is running in the background.
The same is true if you have Chromecast playing and a Fire Stick running in the background.
The only way to have both of these inputs visible at the same time is if your television has Picture in Picture screen technology, which allows PIP to function with two separate input sources on your television.
Unless your TV has this function, it’s better to use either a Chromecast or a Fire Stick.
How to Use a Fire Stick Like a Chromecast
To cast to a Fire Stick, similar to a Chromecast, you first need to set the Fire Stick into display mirroring mode and then connect your Miracast-supported device.
Follow the steps listed below:
- Open the Settings app and choose the Display & Sound setting.
- Tap on Enable Display Mirroring. Wait till the screen shows that mirroring is enabled.
- On your smartphone’s setting app, go to Connections > Bluetooth.
- Select Connection preferences and choose Cast.
- Click on the Menu with three dots.
- Click on Enable Wireless display.
- Select the name of your Fire Stick from the list of all the devices.
- Your phone’s screen has now been mirrored to your Fire Stick.
Cast from an iPhone to a Fire Stick
As the Fire TV Stick does not natively allow iOS screencasting, you will have to use a third-party tool called AirScreen.
Go to your Fire TV’s home screen, search for Airscreen on the App Store, and download the app.
Make sure AirPlay is turned on. You can do this by navigating to Settings and making sure the AirPlay box is checked. If it isn’t, then tap the box to enable it.
Fire TV AirScreen app
On the AirScreen app’s home screen, select Help from the menu. Then, select iOS and tap on AirPlay.
iPhone Airscreen app
Open the Control Center. Then choose Screen Mirroring. Now, press the AS-AFT***[AirPlay] button to cast your iPhone’s screen to your Fire Stick.
Cast from an Android Smartphone to a Fire Stick
Casting an Android smartphone to a Fire Stick is straightforward.
To do so, follow the instructions below.
- To open the menu, press and hold the home button on your Fire Stick TV remote for a few seconds.
- Select Mirroring. Your Fire Stick should now be detectable via your Android device.
- Open Settings on your Android smartphone.
- The setting we intend to use is determined by your phone’s manufacturer. Here’s what you should do for some well-known brands:Google: Connected devices > Connection preferences > CastSamsung: Wireless Display Application> Smart ViewOnePlus: Bluetooth & Device Connection> CastOPPO or Realme: Connection & Sharing> Screencast> Wireless Transport.
- Choose your Fire TV device.
- Your phone’s screen is now mirrored to the Fire Stick.
How to Cast from a Smartphone Without Miracast
If your phone does not support Miracast, you can always cast using a third-party tool.
Several apps can help you with your casting needs. The Screen Mirroring app is one of them.
Instead of casting individual files, it directly mirrors your screen. It is compatible with iOS and Android smartphones and does not require Miracast.
You can cast to Fire Stick using this app by following the steps below:
- Download and install Screen Mirroring on your Fire Stick and launch it once the setup is complete.
- Install Screen Mirroring from the Google Play store in case you have an android device or the App store in case you have an iPhone.
- Launch the Screen Mirroring app on your phone and click on the check mark.
- Select the name of your Fire Stick from the list of all the devices.
- Click on Start Mirroring, then click on Start now.
- Your phone is now mirrored on your Fire Stick.
How to Cast from a PC to Fire Stick
Compared to iOS devices, casting from a PC to a Fire Stick is simple. Windows 10 is a recommended operating system, so no third-party programs are needed.
Casting does need Bluetooth and a Wi-Fi connection on the PC.
Fire TV Stick Setup
- On your Amazon Fire TV Stick, press and hold the Home button.
- Select the Mirroring option and take note of the Fire TV Stick’s name as it will be asked later.
Windows 10 Setup
- Click the Windows Key and the A key together to launch Windows Action Center.
- Choose Connect (‘Connect’ is the name of the Casting feature in Microsoft devices).
- Expand the list to see all the options if the Connect option is not visible by default.
- Wait for the connection to be established after selecting your Fire TV Stick.
- You can now cast from your Windows device to your Fire Stick.
How to Stop Casting to a Fire Stick
When you switch your TV off, even though you see a black screen, your phone does not detect that.
It will continue casting on your TV. When you switch it back on, the Fire Stick home screen will still be visible.
To “turn it off,” you must explicitly stop your phone from mirroring. The process is different for iOS and Android devices.
If you have an iPhone, open the settings menu, tap on “Screen Mirroring,” and then tap on stop casting.
If you have an Android phone, swipe down on your screen, from the “Quick Settings” section, tap on “Screen Cast,” and disable mirroring.
If you have any more queries regarding how to mirror your device to Amazon Fire Stick or how to use Fire Stick like Chromecast, you can contact Amazon support or check the user manual for your device.
Chromecast is a good option if you want to cast apps on your phone like YouTube, Netflix, Spotify, and more to your television. While Fire Stick turns your ordinary television into a smart tv.
When you are considering streaming options, you can keep Miracast in mind.
Although after Android 6.0 Marshmallow was released in 2015, Google stopped supporting Miracast.
But it is included in two of the most popular streaming devices like, the Roku Ultra and the Amazon Fire Stick.
Some Android devices like Samsung and OnePlus also support Miracast.
You May Also Enjoy Reading
- How to Connect Firestick to WiFi Without Remote
- Volume Not Working on Firestick Remote: How to Fix
- How to Set Up Chromecast with Samsung TV in seconds
- How To Use Chromecast With iPad: Complete Guide
- FireStick Keeps Restarting: How To Troubleshoot
Frequently Asked Questions
Does Fire Stick allow you to cast?
Using Fire Stick, you can cast your Android devices like smartphones and tablets on TV.
Can you AirPlay to Fire Stick?
Apple AirPlay is not supported by Fire Stick.
What does mirroring mean on Fire Stick?
Mirroring is a feature that allows you to stream from your phones and tablets to your television.