Wireless PlayStation controllers make gaming easy because no unnecessary cords limit your movements. You can also enjoy a game with your buddies by connecting more than one controller to the PlayStation console – PlayStation supports up to seven controllers at once.
You can connect a PS3 controller – also known as DualShock 3 – to the console wirelessly but only after an initial pairing using the provided USB. After the initial synchronization, you don’t need the USB cable to connect the controller to the console.
But how do you connect a PS3 controller without a USB?
We prepared this article to show you how to connect a PS3 controller without USB and other gaming tactics.
How To Connect PS3 Controller Without USB
PS3 controllers are both wired and wireless. This means you can connect them to the gaming console using a USB cord or without one. Follow these steps to connect your PS3 controller without USB.
- Press the Power button on the console to switch it on.
- Turn on the PS3 controller by pressing the PlayStation or PS button.
- Four LED lights will start blinking, indicating the controller is searching for a device to connect with.
- When three LED lights stop blinking and one glows solidly, that means the controller has connected to the console.
How To Reset PS3 Controller
If your PS3 controller isn’t connecting wirelessly to your console, you can fix the issue by resetting the controller. Resetting restores the default settings, and you’d need to re-sync the DualShock 3 with the console using a USB cable. Follow these steps to reset the DualShock 3.
- Switch off the PS3 console. You can do this by holding down the PlayStation button on the DualShock 3 and selecting “Turn Off Console” or pressing and holding the Power button on the console.
- Plug in one end of the USB cable to the console and the other end to your DualShock 3.
- Switch on the PS3.
- Locate the reset button on the console beside the L2 shoulder button.
- Press the reset button with a thin pin or toothpick.
- Your PS3’s settings are restored to default.
After resetting the PS3, you need to connect the DualShock 3 to the console using the USB cable. If you’ve misplaced the original cable, don’t panic; a regular USB cable can still fulfill the purpose.
How To Connect PS3 Controller to Your PC Without Bluetooth
You can connect your DualShock 3 wirelessly to your Bluetooth-enabled PC. However, like the console, you must have synced the controller to the PC using a USB cable the first time. After synchronization, you can pair and connect your controllers to the PC wirelessly via Bluetooth. Note that to connect DualShock 3 wirelessly to your computer, you’ll need SCPtoolkit, a free Windows Driver, and an XInput Wrapper for PlayStation controllers.
Follow these steps to connect DualShock 3 to your PC without USB:
- Disconnect the DualShock 3 from the PS3 console.
- Plug in one side of the USB cableto the PC and the other to the DualShock 3.
- Download and install SCPtoolkit.
- Follow the on-screen prompts to download the accompanying files.
- For Windows 7, download Xbox 360 controller drivers.
- Tap on the green button on your screen to run the driver installer.
- Check the “Install DualShock 3 driver” box anduncheck the “Install DualShock 4 driver” box.
- Click “Choose DualShock 3 controllers” to install. A drop-down menu with several controllers will appear.
- Select your controller.
- Tap “Install“.
- Click Exit when the installation is complete.
Your controller is now connected to the PC and is ready to play.
The next time you want to connect DualShock 3 to your PC, you only need to run the SCPtoolkit program, and the PC will pair with the controllers automatically.
You can connect a PS3 controller to the console without a USB. However, you must have synced the two devices beforehand using a USB cable. To connect the PS3 controller wirelessly to the console, press and hold thePlayStation or PS button on the controller until you get four blinking LED lights. The controller is searching available devices. After connecting to the console, three lights will stop blinking, and the fourth one will glow solidly.