One of the first things you need to do after getting an Alexa device is to connect it to a WiFi network. So, if you change your WiFi network or try to use your Alexa device in a new place with a different WiFi network, your device just won’t work. Here’s how to connect your Alexa device to a new WiFi network with or without the app.
If you’re setting up your Alexa device for the first time, check out our guide on how to set up Alexa on an Amazon Echo smart speaker.
Does Alexa Need WiFi?
Alexa devices need a WiFi connection to function properly. When you ask Alexa a question or use a voice command, an audio recording is sent to Amazon’s cloud over your WiFi network. Then it is processed and sent back to your device over WiFi so Alexa can answer your question or fulfill your request.
How to Connect Alexa to a New WiFi Network With the App
To connect Alexa to a new WiFi network, open the Alexa app and tap Devices. Then select Echo & Alexa and choose the Alexa device you want to connect to a new WiFi network. Finally, tap Change next to WiFi Network and enter the WiFi password for that network.
- Open the Amazon Alexa app. You can download the Alexa app on your smartphone or tablet from the Apple App Store and the Google Play Store.
Note: There are a lot of fake Alexa apps, so make sure you download the Alexa app from AMZN Mobile LLC.
- Then tap Devices. You will see this in the bottom-right corner of your screen.
- Next, select Echo & Alexa. You will see this in the top-right corner of your screen.
- Then choose the Alexa device you want to connect to a new WiFi network. If you don’t see your device listed, go back to the Devices screen and select All Devices. You will see this to the right of Echo & Alexa. If you still don’t see your device, you might have to reset it and set it up as a new device. To find out how to rest your Echo device, check out our step-by-step guide here.
Note: If you don’t remember the device’s name, you can ask, “Alexa, what is your device name.”
- Next, tap Status. This will show you which WiFi network your device is currently connected to.
- Next, tap Change. You will see this next to Wi-Fi Network and under Wireless.
- Then press and hold the action button on your device. This is the button with the dot icon on top of your Echo device.
- Once your device is in setup mode, tap Continue. You will know your device is in setup mode when the ring light on your device turns orange and starts spinning. Also, your Alexa device will say, “Now in setup mode. Follow the instructions in your Alexa app.”
- Then select your Alexa device from the list.
- Next, select your new WiFi network. If you don’t see your WiFi network appear after a few moments, tap Rescan Network near the top of your screen.
Note: For best results, make sure that your smartphone or tablet is connected to the same WiFi network that you want to connect your Alexa device to.
- Then enter your WiFi password and tap Connect.
- Finally, wait for your Alexa device to connect to your new WiFi network. This can take a few minutes. Your Alexa device will tell you when it has connected to the new WiFi network.
If you can’t use the mobile app to connect Alexa to WiFi, your best option is to do it on a browser. Here’s how you can connect Alexa to WiFi without the app:
How to Connect Alexa to a New WiFi Network Without the App
To connect Alexa to a new WiFi network without the app, go to alexa.amazon.com and sign in. Then click Settings > Set up a new device and select your device. Next, put your device in pairing mode and connect to its WiFi network. Finally, choose your new network and enter your password.
- Open a web browser and go to alexa.amazon.com. You can do this using Google Chrome, Safari, Firefox, or any other browser.
- Then log in to your Amazon account. Enter your Amazon username and password. If you don’t have an Amazon account, click the Create a New Amazon Account button at the bottom of the window.
- Next, click Settings. You will see this in the left sidebar of the window. If you don’t see this option, expand your browser window or zoom out on the page.
- Then select Set up a new device.
- Next, select the kind of Alexa device you want to connect to a new WiFi network. You can see more options by scrolling down.
- Then click Continue.
- Next, plug your Alexa device into a power source.
- Then wait for the ring light to turn orange.
Note: If you don’t see your device’s light ring turn orange, select Don’t see the orange light ring? Then you will see which button you have to push on your device. In most cases, you will need to press and hold the action button with the dot in the middle on the top of your Echo device.
- Next, connect to a network with the format Amazon-XXX. Without closing your browser, go to your computer or phone’s WiFi networks. If you’re using a Windows10 computer to set up Alexa, you can click the WiFi icon in the bottom-right corner of your screen. If you’re using a Mac, you can find the WiFi icon in the upper right area of the screen. And, if you’re using a phone or a tablet, just go to Settings > WiFi. Then you should see the network listed among all your available WiFi networks.
- Go back to your browser and click Continue. Once you have connected to your WiFi network, you will see a window that says, “Your computer is connected” to your Alexa device.
- Then select the WiFi network you want to connect Alexa to. If you choose a previously saved network, you can skip the next step.
- Next, enter your WiFi password and click Connect.
- Finally, wait for your Alexa device to connect to the new WiFi network. Once you are done, you can test the connection by asking Alexa a question. For example, you can say, “Alexa, what’s the weather like tomorrow?”
If you want to use Alexa on the computer, check out our guide on how to download the Alexa app on your Windows 10 PC.
HelloTech editors choose the products and services we write about. When you buy through our links, we may earn a commission.