- You can cast your Quest 2 or Quest Pro to a PC, mobile phone or TV to make your virtual reality screen a group experience.
- You can cast directly from the headset using the Camera in the app library.
- You can also cast from the mobile app by tapping the Cast button at the top of the Meta Quest app.
Virtual reality is often considered something of a solitary activity, but it doesn’t have to be.
Equipped with a headset like the Meta Quest 2 or Meta Quest Pro, you can share your virtual experience by casting what the VR gamer is seeing inside the headset to a TV, PC or mobile device.
The resulting video won’t be in true 3D, of course, but it lets everyone else in the room be an audience to the action. Here’s how to cast a VR experience from a Meta headset to a TV, PC, or phone.
How to cast the Quest 2 or Meta Quest Pro from the headset
You can cast from the VR headset to another device using the Casting feature built into the Quest VR environment. To cast to your PC, you’ll need a Chromium-based web browser like Chrome or Microsoft Edge.
If you want to cast to a TV, the television will need to support casting (many smart TVs do) or you can use a TV with a Chromecast device installed. Here’s what to do:
1. Make sure the Quest headset and any device you want to cast to is turned on.
2. Put on the Quest 2 or Quest Pro headset.
3. Make sure the headset and the device you want to cast to are connected to the same WiFi network.
4. Press the Oculus button on the right-hand controller, if needed, so you can see the Oculus menu in the headset.
5. Select the Apps Library in the toolbar at the bottom of the screen.
6. Select the Camera app.
7. At the top of the Camera window, choose Cast.
8. In the Cast From This Headset pop-up, find the device you want to cast to — options should include your PC, Meta Quest mobile app, and your TV (if your TV is turned on and supports casting).
Choose the appropriate option and choose Next.
Finally, complete the casting process:
- If you’re casting from your PC, open a Chrome or Edge browser and navigate to oculus.com/casting.
- If you’re casting to your phone, start the Meta Quest app. Tap the Cast button at the top of the screen if needed, and then tap Start.
- If you’re casting to your TV, in most cases the casting will start right away.
After a moment, whatever is happening inside the Quest 2 or Quest Pro headset should appear on the selected device.
If your TV is turned on and supports casting, it should appear automatically in the list of devices. If it doesn’t appear, it does not support casting. To solve that problem, you can add a Chromecast device to your TV.
How to cast the Quest 2 or Meta Quest Pro from the mobile app
You can also start casting from the Meta Quest app on your phone or tablet. To start, if you haven’t already installed the Meta Quest app, do that and set it up by logging into your Meta account.
1. Make sure the Quest headset and any device you want to cast to is turned on. Confirm the headset and the device you want to cast to are connected to the same WiFi network.
2. Start the Meta Quest app on your phone.
3. Tap the Cast button at the top of the screen.
4. If you want to cast to this mobile device, tap Start. If you want to cast to another device — like a TV — tap the arrow to the right of This Phone and choose the device you want to cast to.
Then tap Start.
You should now be casting.