- You can connect a PS4 controller to your PS4 console using a USB cable.
- You can also use the USB cable to charge your controller.
- You’ll have to use the first connected controller to connect additional controllers to your PS4.
If you’re new to the PlayStation 4 console, you may be feeling a bit behind on the basics. For example, you might not know how to connect and use the wireless controllers. While the controllers can be used wirelessly — assuming they’re charged — you’ll need to use the micro-USB cable that’s included with them to start using a controller.
And although you can connect up to four controllers to your PS4 at one time, the process is different for the first controller than it is for the subsequent ones.
Here’s what you need to know to connect and charge your PS4 controllers.
Quick tip: You can also connect a PS4 controller to other devices, like an iPhone, Android, Mac, and PC.
How to connect your PS4 controller
1. Turn on your console.
2. Plug the USB end of the cable for the controller into the console’s USB port, and then connect the other end to the controller. The ports are located on the front of the console and the top-center of the controller.
3. Press the PS button, located in the center of the controller. You’ll see a light appear on the back of the controller when it’s properly connected.
4. Once connected, you can unplug the cable and use your controller wirelessly — assuming it’s charged.
How to charge a PS4 controller
1. To check the current charge level on your controller, press and hold the controller’s PS button, and the controller’s charging progress will appear on your screen.
2. To charge a PlayStation 4 controller, simply connect it to the PS4 console using the USB cable provided with the system.
3. As long as the PS4 is switched on (it can be in Rest Mode), the controller will begin charging. You can charge up to two controllers at once.
Quick tip: A complete charge takes about two hours. You should be sure to let the battery run out, and then fully charge your PS4 controllers several times a year, to ensure their battery life doesn’t shorten.
How to connect another PS4 controller
1. Using your synced controller, go into your PS4 Settings, located above the home menu.
2. Choose Devices.
3. Select Bluetooth Devices.
4. Press and hold the PS button and the Share button on the controller you want to pair for five seconds.
5. When the controller has been paired, you’ll see it appear on the list of devices on your screen.
Note: You can connect and use up to four PS4 controllers at once.
If it’s not working and you have to troubleshoot, check out our article on what to do if your controller won’t connect to your PS4.