Wifi networks are pretty easy to find nowadays. Whether you are in your office, home, the airport, or a coffee shop, it’s likely a wifi network is available. Connecting your kindle to wifi is only the first step to get your kindle working. If your kindle is not connecting to wifi, what should you do? Read through this guide to know how to connect your kindle to wifi and the troubleshooting steps when kindle will not connect to wifi.
Part 1. How to Connect Kindle to Wifi
1 Connect kindle paperwhite to wifi
It is super easy to connect kindle eReader to wifi.
1. Just turn on your Kindle eReader, then go to the homescreen.
2. Tap settings and ensure the Airplane mode is off.
3. Then tap “All settings”>>”Wi-fi & Bluetooth”.
4. In the pop-up wifi panel, you’ll see a number of options. Tap your wifi network and fill in your passwords, and finally tap “Connect” to connect your kindle ereader to wifi.
2 Connect kindle fire to wifi
1. Swipe down from the top of the screen to show the menu bar. Tap “Wireless”.
2. Tap “Wi-Fi” and turn it on and all wifi networks will appear.
3. Tap the wifi network you want to connect, input Password and then tap “Connect”. Your Kindle Fire should now be successfully connected to the Wi-Fi.
Note: After it connects to a Wi-Fi network, it will automatically connects to the network again when it’s in range. If more than one network is in range, your Kindle Fire automatically connects to the last network used.
Part 2. Solutions to Kindle not Connecting to Wifi
The reasons a Kindle/Kindle fire won’t connect to the internet can include anything from software problem to a wifi network misconfiguration, router issue, or internet service provider problem. Here is the comprehensive guide to troubleshooting connectivity issues.
1 A groundwork list before connecting kindle to wifi
1. Ensure your internet is working correctly.
To check whether your internet is working properly, you can just connect another device to this wifi. While routers and modems are usually consolidated into one device, they do different things. If you have a separate router and modem, check to make sure both are on and that they’re connected properly. If you are getting problems, contact Internet Service Provider.
2. Ensure Airplane mode is off.
You may turn on the airplane mode unintentionally. In this case, you’ll get errors when you are trying to connect kindle to wifi. So please check and ensure you have turned the airplane mode off.
3. Ensure wi-fi password is correct
Sometimes an incorrect wi-fi passwords would be the reason that your kindle won’t connect to wifi. So please ensure that you have entered the correct password. In this case, the notification “Incorrect Password” will pop up. So just fill in the right passwords.
4. Ensure your Kindle software is updated.
The latest software update can fix many issues. So keep an eye whenever a new software version is available to download and update it immediately.
After checking above montioned points, your device is ready to connect wi-fi successfully. If you are still getting kindle won’t connent to wifi, please follow the below steps for connecting your kindle to internet.
2 How to fix Kindle/Kindle fire not connecting to wifi?
Solution 1 Restart your kindle device.
1. Press and hold the power button for 40 seconds to turn your Kindle device off. You will know this has happened as the power light will go out and the screen will go blank or a dialogue box appears on-screen.
2. If a dialogue box appears, the on-screen prompt will ask you to confirm your intention to restart the device. Tap “Restart” to complete the process. More ways to restart kindle, please read How to soft wand hard reset kindle.
Note: For Kindle Fire, you may need to press the power button again to turn the device back on.
3.Wait while your device restarts and reloads your library, then try to connect your kindle to wifi.
Solution 2 Reset your home network.
Just as you restarted your Kindle, you should also restart your router itself.
Restarting a router is a simple matter of turning it off for a few seconds and then powering it back on. If you are unsure how to do this, refer to your router’s manual. Most routers have an on/off switch in the back.
1. Power off your modem and wifi router.
2. Disconnect the power cable from the wall outlet.
3. Leave the device idle for a few minutes.
4. Reconnect the power cord and turn it on.
5. Wait till all the LED indicators on the router stop blinking.
6. Try to connect your kindle to see whether this error is resolved.
Solution 3 Update Kindle Software.
You can solve this issue by updating kindle software to the latest version.
1. Connect your kindle device to your computer.
2. Go to the Kindle software update pages to find the latest software for your kindle.
3. Move the downloaded file to your kindle device.
4. On your Kindle device, tap on Menu.
5. Open Settings, and select Update Your Kindle.
6. Tap OK to proceed the update.
This process will take a few minutes. Please wait patiently and then try to connect the wift after the update has been installed successfully.
Full guide, please read How to Update Kindle Firmware.
Solution 4 Forget the wifi network on kindle.
If your kindle device is connect to wifi, but you still cannot visit the internet or download kindle books. You can try this workaround to fix that kindle connects to wifi but not internet.
1. Go to Settings>>All settings>>Wi-fi & Bluetooth.
2. Tap the wifi net work your kindle/kindle fire is connected.
3. Then tap Forget to disconnect the wifi.
4. Rescan the network and then select your wifi and connect it again.
Solution 5 Reset to factory default.
Important Notice: Reset your kindle to factory default will delete all the data stored in the device. So make sure you have backed up the necessary data before the following steps.
1. Tap Settings>>All Settings and choose Device Options.
2. Tap Reset (Reset to Factory Defaults for Kindle fire) and then tap Yes in the pop up warning window.
Your kindle device will reset in a few minutes. By doing this, please ensure your Kindle device are full in charge otherwise you may fail to reset your kindle to factory mode.
Solution 6 Get in touch with experts.
If the above solutions are not working for you, here is the ultimate solution: contacting Amazon experts to have this issue fixed.
1. Amazon customer service phone number is 1-888-280-4331. And you can call that number 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
2. Start a livechat at official Amazon website.
3. Email to them via [email protected].
Do you have any more workarounds? Please share them in the comments.
Solution 7 If you have reset your kindle to factory default but still cannot connect your wifi, you may lose all your downloaded your kindle books. Then you still download kindle books via “Download and transfer via usb” and then transfer them to your kindle device.