Twitter DM FAQs
We hope these how to DM basics help you directly chat with someone. But, if you still have questions about how this feature works, here are answers to FAQs regarding Twitter DM settings and preferences.
How can I delete a DM I sent?
Always think before you send a Twitter DM because once you click send, there’s no turning back. While you can delete messages for all users in a chat on certain apps, you can’t do so on this platform. So before you shower love messages on a celebrity crush, think about it. You won’t be able to unsend DMs. That said, you can delete messages on your end of a chat by simply clicking on the message and tapping “Delete.”
How can I start a group chat on Twitter?
Add more friends to the fun by starting a group chat.
- Open the Twitter mobile application.
- Tap the envelope icon on the lower left-hand side of the screen, and click it again within your messages screen to start a new chat.
- Search for the first user you want to message and add them. Then, repeat the process to add more users.
- Type your message to the group, and tap the send icon.
You can change the following settings and make the group chat a bit more personalized. Tap on the information icon to tweak these features:
- Edit group name
- Upload new photo
- View photo
- Remove photo
How can I take a break from messages?
If you need a social media hiatus, turn off your Twitter DM notifications and take a step back from your chats using the following steps:
- Find the conversation you wish to snooze.
- Open the message settings.
- Tap the information icon.
- Select “Snooze notifications.”
- From the pop-up menu, select the snooze duration: one hour, eight hours, one week or forever.
- When you’re ready to return, unsnooze the conversation by hitting the information icon and deselecting the “Snooze notifications” option.
Can I report an inappropriate message?
Sometimes, Twitter users reach out with kind words or support for your business, project or content. But, if someone hits you up with an inappropriate or offensive message, report this contact and prevent it from happening again. From your mobile device:
- Locate the DM you’d like to report, then tap and hold the message.
- From the pop-up menu, select “Report message.”
- If you choose the “It’s abusive or harmful” option, you’ll have to provide more information.
- Select the most appropriate of the six options, and tap “Submit.”
How can I review my DM requests?
Unless you’ve enabled the “Receive messages from anyone setting,” you shouldn’t have to worry about getting DMs from people you don’t know. That said, if you’re open to conversations with unknown users, keep an eye on your DM requests in the Messages tab. There, choose to “Delete” or “Accept” a new message. In the latter, start chatting with the user, and the message will move to your inbox. Since you can’t undo this step, be sure you’re comfortable with the setting. If you wish to stop contact, block or report the user.
Can I turn off my read receipts?
If you’re all about privacy on your social media’s “comings and goings,” Twitter allows you to turn off read receipts. When you do so, people you’re chatting with won’t know if you’ve read their messages yet.
- Tap your profile icon.
- Select “Settings and Support.”
- Click “Settings and privacy.”
- Tap “Privacy and safety.”
- Select “Direct Messages” and toggle off “Show read receipts.”
- Tap “More” on the toolbar.
- Click “Settings and Support.”
- Select “Settings and privacy.”
- Tap “Privacy and safety.”
- Click “Direct Messages” and toggle off “Show read receipts.”
Do DMs help business accounts?
Business account holders can leverage Twitter DMs to interact with customers, answer their queries and invite potential customers to turn into buyers. Always track your inbox to check customer reviews – sometimes, buyers leave positive comments for your products, serving as testimonials for your brand. DMs enable start-ups to collaborate with other brands to lure more customers.
Twitter is much more than just news and memes. Whether you have an individual or business account, sending and receiving DMs is easy. Follow these steps mentioned above, and start chatting with friends, family and even your beloved celebrities (we hope they read and respond).