Jamming on a particular song and want to make it your iPhone ringtone? But is it possible to make a song as your iPhone ringtone without iTunes or your computer? Yes, it can be done! Whether a custom sound like your child’s voice, a music piece, or external ringtones, iPhone allows you to be the decision-maker. In this article, I will take you through the step-by-step process to set any song as a ringtone on your iPhone for free.
Things to know before you set any song as an iPhone ringtone?
- Locally Saved – The track you want as a ringtone should be stored in your iPhone Music Library or the files app. Protected songs (like from Apple Music) cannot be used.
- The app – You’ll need to download and install one of the two apps –
- Ringtones: Ringtone Maker
- Apple’s GarageBand app
Now, let’s move on to the next step.
- How to create a custom iPhone ringtone with GarageBand
- Set custom ringtone on iPhone without iTunes
How to create a custom iPhone ringtone with GarageBand
For this tutorial purposes, I have downloaded a ringtone from Zedge. You can use a website or source of your choice.
- Launch the GarageBand app on your iPhone.
- Swipe and find Audio Recorder from the options, tap Voice (mic icon). (You can also use Keyboard or Drummer for the purpose)
- Here, tap View (brick wall like icon) to enter the editing section.
- Tap the Loop icon; you’ll see three subheadings here – Apple Loops, Files, and Music. Since my ringtone is saved in files, I will be using that tab.
- Look for the song you want; hold it for a few seconds to import. If you can’t see the song, tap Browse items from the Files app to find it.
- To edit the song, drag the long vertical bar to your custom ringtone’s desired starting point.You may use the play button to achieve the perfect starting point of your tone.
- Once done, double-tap the song and select Split.
- Drag the Scissor icon down to cut/divide the song at your chosen point.
- Delete the unusable part of the song by tapping it twice and then choosing Delete.
- Now, select the down arrow icon from the top-left corner and tap My Songs.
- Tap and hold the project and select Share from the list.
- Here, select Ringtone, then continue, name the song as per your choice, and tap Export.
- Once the process completes, tap Use sound as… to set it as ringtone directly or OK to do it manually.
Note: While exporting, iPhone automatically trims the ringtone at 30 seconds. If you want to set an endpoint somewhere before 30 seconds, repeat steps 6 to 9.
Set a ringtone on iPhone without iTunes
If you selected OK previously or you want to use the custom ringtone again, follow these steps:
- Go to Settings → Sounds & Haptics → Ringtone
- The recently created tone will be displayed on top of the list under RINGTONES.
- Tap it to set it as your ringtone.
Video: How to set any song as a Ringtone on iPhone for free
Successfully set a song as a ringtone on iPhone without iTunes or PC!
I hope this handy trick to set a ringtone of your choice without iTunes or a computer was useful. If you have any queries or face any issues during the process, please share them in the comment section below.
And if this was too much of a hassle, don’t worry! You can check the below articles for alternative hacks:
- Best Free Ringtones Apps for iPhone
- How to Buy Ringtones on iPhone and iPad
Readers like you help support iGeeksBlog. When you make a purchase using links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read Disclaimer.