- You can use live photos as your iPhone wallpaper by selecting them in the Settings app.
- On an Android, you’ll need to use a third-party app to set live wallpapers.
- iPhone users who want to use a TikTok video or GIF must convert them to live photos first.
If you’re looking for a way to customize your phone, the wallpaper and lockscreen are great places to start.
Live wallpapers — which are still until you touch them — can be a more eye-catching way to change things up. But, depending on the device you have and the source of the wallpaper, the method you use will vary.
Here’s what you need to know to get it done.
How to make a live wallpaper
To make a live wallpaper, simply choose a live photo and set it as the wallpaper on your phone. When you hold your finger down on the lock screen, the live photo will animate.
If you’ve updated your iPhone to iOS 16, unfortunately, the live wallpaper feature has been removed. If you haven’t done that yet, follow the steps below:
1. Go into your Settings app.
2. Choose Wallpaper.
3. Tap Choose a New Wallpaper.
4. Choose a live photo to use. There are two ways you can go about this:
- Tap Live in the options at the top of the screen and choose one of the live wallpapers already there.
- Scroll down and tap your Live Photos album, and then select a live photo to use as your wallpaper.
5. Tap Set, and then choose Set Lock Screen, Set Home Screen, or Set Both for your new wallpaper.
Note: If you want to make live wallpapers for your computer’s desktop, you can use Dynamic Wallpaper Engine on Mac or Wallpaper Engine on PC.
You’ll need a third-party app to set up a live wallpaper on an Android. Here’s how to do it using the Video to Wallpaper app:
1. Open the Video to Wallpaper app.
2. Tap the plus + sign in the bottom-right corner of the screen.
3. In the pop-up, tap Choose, select your desired video, then and tap OK.
4. Tap Apply and then OK to continue.
5. Tap Video to Wallpaper.
6. Tap Set Wallpaper at the bottom of the screen.
7. Depending on where you want to apply the live wallpaper, tap Home screen or Home screen and lock screen.
Quick tip: Other apps you can use include Live Wallpapers, KLWP Live Wallpaper Maker, or Walloop.
How to convert videos or GIFs into live photos
If you have an iPhone and there are videos that you want to turn into live wallpapers, you have options. However, you’ll have to first convert those videos to live photos. From there, you’ll be able to find the live photo in your library and set it as your wallpaper.
Note: If this is your first time using any of the apps below, you may have to give them permission to access your phone’s media when creating the live photos.
Convert TikTok videos:
1. Download the TikTok app, open it, and sign into your account.
2. Navigate to the video you want to use.
3. Tap the Share icon on the right side of the video.
4. Tap Live Photo. The Video will be converted to a live photo and saved on your iPhone.
1. Download the GIPHY app, open it, and sign into your account. If you don’t have an account, you can easily create one from the home screen.
2. Tap the GIF you want to use.
3. Tap the three-dot icon in the top right corner and choose Convert to Live Photo.
4. Select Save as Live Photo (Full Screen) or Save as Live Photo (Fit to Screen).
Convert videos with third-party apps:
1. Download the VideoToLive app and open it.
2. Select the desired video.
3. Use the tool at the bottom of the screen to trim the video to the desired length.
4. Tap Make in the top right corner.
5. Once the video has been converted to a live photo and saved to your albums, tap Done in the top right corner.
Quick tip: A few other apps you can use for this include intoLive, Video Wallpaper, and Wallpaper Maker.