In today’s hyper-connected world, phone numbers play an essential role in smoothly carrying out our day-to-day activities. From connecting with customers/acquaintances, hailing a quick ride, online shopping, enquiring about particular services, and dating online to social media logins, phone numbers are a must everywhere. It makes privacy, security, and anonymity a valid concern in this domain for customers and businesses alike.
Enter phone number masking!
Phone number masking is essentially a VoIP feature that works as an advanced data protection measure to help businesses ensure the privacy of both the caller and the agent. The concept of number masking allows two on-call individuals/parties to communicate easily without disclosing their phone numbers, thus ensuring higher privacy of customer interactions.
This post aims to talk more about the concept of phone masking and how you can go about this if you’re a beginner in this space.
What Are Masked Phone Numbers And Why Do You Need Them?
Masked numbers are primarily used to keep communication private between two/several parties while safeguarding their phone numbers. With masked phone numbers, users are connected through a third-party (proxy) phone number instead of direct contact between the two parties through their actual phone number to bridge the call.
Put simply; phone number masking is the process of using a customized IP voice caller ID to hide your phone number when you call or text someone.
The need for phone number masking is becoming increasingly important in today’s business landscape. It is primarily because of the increase in the rate of cybercrime, which has enhanced the need to safeguard customers’ personal information.
The reasons for masking cell phone numbers can also vary from people being concerned about their privacy and wishing to keep their personal information private from the caller to protect themselves from potential harassment on the phone.
Benefits of Number Masking To Your Business
Phone number masking offers several benefits to users. Among these are
- Privacy and security of information, thus providing anonymity and building a secure environment.
- Better communication management as phone number masking ensures that both parties engage via a chosen platform alone. Besides, auto-response voice message features ensure communication within the required timeframes.
- Excellent customer experiences as there is a certain peace of mind that comes with knowing your phone number is safe, which makes users more comfortable and willing to engage with your business.
- It gives you the advantage of automation as phone number masking means there is no need for a manual operator to connect two parties.
How To Mask Your Phone Number?
There are several ways of masking your phone number, as discussed below-
Masking your phone number from your phone
A temporary solution is available if you wish to mask one quick call to avoid a nagging caller or are not interested in using other apps. It can be done quickly from your phone as per the FCC mandate that all mobile number companies in the USA can allow their users to block or mask their number from flashing on caller IDs.
Here are the steps you need to follow to mask your phone number calling from your phone-
- Before pressing the call button, enter *67 ahead of the number
- To make sure that the option is working, it is best to do a trial call with a family/friend. In case of any issues, try putting #31# before the entire phone number.
- If the option works, your number will appear as unknown, private, or restricted.
Masking your phone number when using social media apps
With increased social media usage, you often wish to hide your phone number while signing up for these social media platforms and avoid unnecessary nuisance.
The best way to go here is to use an alternate phone number when you sign up for social media platforms and other new websites. It helps to ensure that the website does not misuse your number in any way.
However, specific platforms require you to give an actual phone number to receive SMS with a verification code. You cannot mask the number in such instances and will need an actual number. The best option here is to use an app or a platform that allows you to get an actual phone number to make all your calls and send text messages.
Here is how it works-
- When you have to mask your phone number, sign up with the proxy number.
- You will get a text message with the verification code, and you can continue to use the proxy number for future tasks, such as sharing it to work contacts, selling things online, or sharing it with matches on dating apps.
The advantage of this option is that you can discard the number when no longer needed, and all your messages and information will be deleted without any trace.
Masking your phone number permanently
The other scenario is when you wish to mask your phone number permanently for anybody who calls you. The most convenient way to do this is using a second phone number app. These apps or number masking platforms allow you to easily create a second phone number and use it as your real number.
Here is how it works-
- You first need to choose your area code, followed by start using the number for all your calls and texts.
- It allows you to not only mask your actual number when making calls but also to give the number to anyone who wishes to call or text you.
- When you make a call, it will appear as your proxy number on another person’s phone. Likewise, the incoming call will be from your proxy number whenever you receive a call unless you’ve saved the person/contact under a specific name.
For any business that handles confidential data/ information such as personal mobile numbers, be that a dating site, e-commerce platform, or taxi sharing service, masking your phone number is a must to maintain the privacy and anonymity of the parties involved.
If you are also a business looking to leverage phone masking service, this guide tells you everything about it, including various ways to mask your phone number.
If you’re looking to mask your business phone numbers, then Justcall could be the right fit for you. It allows you to set up IP Voice caller ID for outbound calls of your business within minutes.