Netflix is an American on-demand video service that has undoubtedly revitalized entertainment globally.
Nowadays, you can enjoy your favorite programs and films on an all-you-can-eat buffet.
If you’ve been using a shared Netflix account, you might be wondering how you can change it on your smart TV.
Here’s how you can change a Netflix account on a smart TV:
- Sign out of the old account.
- Create a new account.
- Log in using the new account.
- Test if the new account is working.
One of the main reasons you may need to change your Netflix account is if you’ve been sharing it with several users on the same smart TV.
You could also have borrowed a friend’s account, but you’re now ready to buy yours. Read on to learn how you can change and use a new Netflix account.
1. Sign Out of the Old Netflix Account
You can’t start using a new Netflix account before you sign out on the old one.
So, signing out should be the first thing you should do. It’s also a straightforward procedure, and you won’t even break a sweat.
To sign out of an old account, follow these steps:
- Switch on your smart TV and go to the Netflix application. You’ll have to press the return button continuously on your remote to get to the app.
- Press the left button on your remote, and the menu will appear.
- Scroll down the menu until you find the ‘Get help’ icon. Once you’ve highlighted it, press the ‘Select’ button on your remote.
- Scroll down again using the drop-down arrow on your remote until you get to the ‘Sign out.’ After highlighting it, press the ‘Select’ button.
- A message will pop up asking you if you’re sure that you want to sign out. Press the ‘Select button again to confirm.
There you go! You’ve successfully signed out of the existing Netflix account.
2. Create a New Netflix Account
After signing out, you’ll find some options, including ‘Sign in,’ ‘Deactivate,’ ‘Reset,’ or ‘Start Over.’ Now, select ‘Sign in’ to start creating your new Netflix account.
You’ll also need to follow these steps to create another Netflix account:
- Go to theNetflix application on your smart TV and open it. Your smart TV may also have a Netflix button on its remote (if so, press it directly). Alternatively (like on most smart TVs), you can visit the Netflix website after ensuring that the TV has a stable internet connection.
- A prompt will appear requiring you to enter your email address or phone. So, type in your preferred contact details and select the ‘Continue’ icon. You’ll then receive an activation link via email or text message. Click on the link to continue with the process.
- Select the subscription you’re interested in, and then click ‘Next.’ You can choose the Basic, Standard, or Premium plans, and you’re free to either upgrade or downgrade later. Then, create your membership by entering a new email address (different from the one in the previous account), and then press ‘Ok’ on your remote.
- After confirming that you’ve keyed in the correct email address, click ‘Next.’ You’ll receive a confirmation link in your inbox.
- Using your preferred device (a smartphone or tablet), go to your email inbox and click on the link. Set a suitable password for your account, then press ‘Next.’
- Select your preferred payment method and complete the registration by providing the required information. The credentials include your credit card number or PayPal account. Note that Netflix doesn’t charge during the first month of subscription.
The registration process is complete, and you’ve successfully created a new Netflix account! You can press the ‘Start’ button to begin your streaming adventure.
3. Login Using the New Netflix Account
With the new account, it’s now easy to access Netflix on your smart TV. To login to Netflix using a smart TV, follow these steps:
- Ensure that your TV is connected to the Internet. You can connect it to Ethernet using a cable or to a wireless network. A wired Internet connection is usually more stable than a wireless one.
- Open the smart TV applications list. Some smart TV remotes have the Netflix App button.
- Scroll down to and select the Netflix app. Next, press the ‘Enter’ or Ok ‘button’ on your remote.
- Log in to your Netflix account with your new account details. Enter your email address and the password linked to your email using the virtual keyboard on the TV screen. Select ‘Sign in,’ then press ‘Enter’ and ‘Ok’ in that order.
4. Test if the New Netflix Account Is Working
After successfully changing the account, you need to test if the new account is working.
You can do this by trying to stream videos.
However, ensure that your new Netflix plan supports the type of content you plan to watch.
Now, use the arrow buttons on your remote to scroll and choose your preferred videos.
Select a video that you want to watch, and then press the Enter key on your remote. The video should start.
You can also watch a TV series on Netflix. To do this:
- Use your remote to browse the available TV series on your new subscription.
- Choose your preferred series and season.
- Select an episode that you like from the list that pops up and then press ‘Enter.’
If this works, you’ll have successfully changed your account on Netflix.
However, if you experience any challenges getting your new account to work, you can switch the TV off and then on again.
This will help to clear the application’s memory of the non-permanent information that has been stored so far.
Netflix is a one-stop shop for videos as subscribers can watch large content, such as documentaries, mini-series, and binge-worthy series, in a short period.
Users may want to change their accounts sometimes due to several reasons. As we’ve seen in this article, changing a Netflix account is a straightforward process.