- You can easily unblock a blocked number on your iPhone if you no longer want to prevent that number from sending you calls, texts, or FaceTime requests.
- The process of blocking a number takes only a few seconds, and the unblocking process is equally simple and quick.
- Here’s how to unblock a blocked number or contact on your iPhone.
There are many good reasons to block a phone number or contact on your iPhone.
Maybe you’re screening every call you get and blocking the spam calls as they come in. Maybe you don’t want texts from friends popping up on your screen while you’re at work. Or maybe you don’t want a certain ex to be able to contact you anymore.
The good news is that blocking a contact takes only a few seconds. The better news is that blocking a number isn’t permanent, so if you change your mind, you can undo the blocking. In fact, unblocking a number is even easier than blocking it in the first place.
Before we get to that, though, let’s make sure we’re on the same page as to what blocking callers really does.
What happens when you block a number on iPhone
A blocked iPhone number can’t call you. And they can’t FaceTime you or text you, either. But it doesn’t mean the shunned caller has no way to get in touch, because they can still leave a voicemail.
In fact, when a blocked number calls you, your phone routes it immediately to voicemail, but your iPhone will not send you an alert that you have a new voicemail message.
Rather, the blocked caller’s voicemail will remain in your inbox until you go in and and delete it.
How to unblock a number or contact on iPhone
First, you have to consider whether you are unblocking a number that is in your contacts, or simply in your recent call list. Here’s how to do both.
Unblock a number in your contacts
1. Open the green-and-white Phone app on your screen and navigate to the “Contacts” tab.
2. Find the particular contact you’re looking for and open it.
3. Scroll to the bottom to find the words “Unblock this Caller” in blue, and tap those words.
Unblock a number in your recent calls list
If you blocked a recent caller who’s not in your contacts and now regret that decision (maybe you do want that dental insurance plan all of a sudden), here’s what to do.
1. Find the number under the “Recents” tab of your Phone app.
2. Tap the corresponding blue “i” in the blue circle on the far right of that number.
3. Scroll down to find “Unblock this Caller” in blue, and tap it.
You’re done — those blocked contacts are now unblocked.
Related coverage from Tech Reference:
How to block a phone number on your iPhone
How to delete contacts on your iPhone
How you can easily delete all the photos on your iPhone at once
How to stop robocalls and other spam calls from reaching your iPhone
- 8 Fixes to Solve Apple Watch Won’t Charge in 2023
- How to Know if AirPods Are Charging: 4 Easy Methods
- How to Make a Schedule in Excel (With Templates)
- All Core Expansions in Armored Core 6 (AC6)
- How to clear an SD card and erase all of its data, including the hidden junk files you can't usually delete