This article was co-authored by Zac Churchill and by wikiHow staff writer, Jack Lloyd. Zac Churchill is from Davidson, North Carolina, and currently attends Tufts University. He has played Minecraft for over eight years and has extensive knowledge on how to play Minecraft and how the game has changed over the different versions. Specifically, Zac has expert experience in survival worlds, large builds on creative mode, and server design/upkeep.This article has been viewed 409,102 times.
Enchanted books are a surefire way to rocket up your strength in Minecraft as you embark on challenging quests and explore the depths of the realm. To create an enchanted book, you’ll need lapis lazuli, a book, and the anvil. You’ll also need the requisite experience. We’ll teach you how to quickly increase your level, easily acquire the necessary items, and use your enchanted book for maximum power. You’re soon to be unstoppable.
Creating an Enchanted Book
- 1Gather the necessary resources. To create an enchanted book, you will need the materials for the following items:
- Crafting table – Four wooden planks, which come from one wood log.
- Book – Three pieces of paper, which come from three pieces of sugar cane, and one piece of leather, which comes from a cow or horse – you kill it.
- Enchanting table – Two diamonds, four blocks of obsidian, and a book. X Expert Source Zac ChurchillMinecraft Specialist Expert Interview. 2 December 2020.
- 2Open your inventory. You should see your crafting items here.
- In Minecraft PE, you’ll tap the … icon to open your inventory.
- 3Craft a crafting table. To do this, you’ll use the four wood planks, which come from placing one log in the crafting grid.
- On the PC version of Minecraft, you’ll click and drag each of your four wooden blocks into the two-by-two crafting grid at the top of your inventory.
- On Minecraft PE, you’ll tap the tab above your inventory tab on the left side of the screen and then tap the crafting table icon, which resembles a box with lines on it.
- On console, you’ll press the “Crafting” button (X or circle), then select a wooden crate.
- 4Place your crafting table on the ground. You’ll need to select it from the hotbar at the bottom of the screen to do so.
- If your hotbar is full, you must first open your inventory and replace an item in the hotbar with your crafting table.
- 5Open your crafting table. It will open to a three-by-three grid, along with the contents of your inventory (PE and PC versions only).
- 6Craft a book. To do so, you’ll place three pieces of sugar cane across the middle row of the crafting grid, select the resulting paper, and then place the three pieces of paper in an L-shape in the top-left corner of the crafting grid. Your leather should go in the top-middle box, thus filling in the “L” shape.
- In Minecraft PE, just tap the book icon on the left side of the screen, then click the 1 x [book] button on the right side.
- On the console version of Minecraft, select the book icon from the paper section of the “Decorations” tab.
- 7Craft an enchanting table. The enchanting table requires a book in the top-middle box of the crafting grid, a diamond in both the middle-left and middle-right boxes, and obsidian in the center box as well as the entire bottom row. You should see the enchanting table icon appear on the right side of the crafting grid.
- On consoles, select the enchanting table from the crafting table area of the “Structures” tab.
- 8Place the enchanting table on the ground. You’ll do this in the same way in which you placed the crafting table here.
- 9Open the enchanting table. It will open to one space in which you can place your book.
- 10Place the book in the table. To do so, simply click and drag the book into the space (PC).
- For Minecraft PE, you’ll tap the book on the left side of the screen to place it in the table.
- For consoles, select the book in your inventory.
- 11Select an enchantment. The level of enchantment you can place on your book depends on your level. Selecting an enchantment will apply it to your book, causing it to turn purple.
- For example, if you’re level 3, you can select any enchantment with a 1, 2, or 3 next to it.
- Enchantments are randomized, so you won’t be able to select a specific enchantment.
- 12Select your book. Doing so will place it in your inventory. Now that you have an enchanted book, it’s time to apply it to an item.
- In Minecraft PE, you must double-tap your book to add it to your inventory.
Enchanting an Item
- 1Gather the necessary materials for an anvil. Having an anvil will allow you to apply your enchantment book to an item. X Expert SourceZac ChurchillMinecraft Specialist Expert Interview. 2 December 2020. To craft an anvil, you will need the following:
- Three iron blocks – Each iron block requires nine iron bars, for a total of twenty-seven iron bars needed.
- Four iron bars – These bars bring the iron total to thirty-one.
- You can create iron bars by adding iron ore, which is the grey stone with orange-brown spots, into a furnace that has coal in it.
- 2Open your crafting table. As it did earlier, the crafting table will open to a three-by-three grid.
- 3Create an anvil. To do so, you’ll place the three iron blocks in the top row of the crafting table grid, three of the four iron bars along the bottom row of the grid, and the final iron bar in the center of the grid, then select the anvil icon.
- On the PE version of Minecraft, you’ll tap the black anvil icon on the left side of the screen.
- On the console version of Minecraft, you’ll select the anvil icon in the “Structures” tab.
- 4Place your anvil on the ground. You’re now ready to craft an enchanted item.
- 5Open the anvil’s menu. It will open to three boxes.
- 6Add the item you wish to enchant. You can place it in either the far-left box or the middle box here.
- For example, you might add a sword.
- 7Add your enchantment book. It goes in either the far-left box or the middle box.
- 8Select the item in the output box. This is the box on the far-right side of the anvil’s menu. Doing so will add your enchanted item to your inventory.
- QuestionWhat do I use an enchanted book for in Minecraft Pocket Edition?Community AnswerYou apply the book to an item that you’d like to have that particular feature. For example, if you got a book with sharpness, you can put it in an anvil with a sword; the sword would then have sharpness on it.
- QuestionCan I apply multiple enchantments to one weapon?Community AnswerYes you can! Simply select the enchanted weapon as the item to enchant, then select a different enchantment than you used previously.
- QuestionDoes enchanting items really make them better?Community AnswerYes. Enchanting items (mainly tools, weapons, and armor) does indeed make them better. An enchanted book can add useful features to the item you are enchanting, such as sharpness to a sword.
- Sometimes an enchanted book can be acquired by trading with librarian villagers. X Expert SourceZac ChurchillMinecraft Specialist Expert Interview. 2 December 2020.⧼thumbs_response⧽
- Some enchantments won’t work on certain items (for example, “Smite” won’t work on a helmet).⧼thumbs_response⧽
- You can gain experience by killing enemies.⧼thumbs_response⧽
About This Article
1. Create a crafting table and open it.2. Create an enchanting table and open it.3. Create a book.4. Place the book on the enchanting table.5. Select an enchantment.6. Select your book.7. Create an anvil and open its menu.8. Add the item you want to enchant.9. Add the book.10. Select the item in the output box.
Reader Success Stories
- “Amateur in Minecraft and just got a few enchanted books. Just did not know how to use them! This helps!”