Want to know how to use a PS5 Controller on PS4? Thanks to Sony’s backward compatibility phobia, it’s not exactly plug-and-play, but we have hacks to make the magic happen.
Sony’s DualSense is a fantastic controller, but Sony being Sony, you can’t use it with a PS4 directly. Using third-party dongles like the Brook Super Converter is the most straightforward option. This nifty gadget enables PS5 controllers to work on PS4 consoles in wireless or wired modes.
Now, user experiences vary out in the wild. Some gamers report occasional performance hiccups using the PS5 controller on select PS4 games. For others, it’s a seamless experience.
The MayFlash Magic-S Pro is another handy dongle that pairs DualSense with PS4. However, controller and game compatibility can be finicky. You should consult Brook’s compatibility list before hitting the big red buy button.
Getting next-gen controllers humming on old consoles requires patience and experimentation. With the right gear, you can bridge the DualShock-DualSense divide.
With this handy third-party magic, you can enjoy that slick DualSense feel on your PS4.
How to connect and use a PS4 controller with a PS5
If you do have a PS4 game you want to play on your PlayStation 5 console, then we’ve outlined a simple process that you’ll need to follow:
- Start up your PS5
- From the home menu, head to ‘Settings,’ then ‘General,’ and finally ‘Bluetooth Accessories’
- Now it’s time to put your DualShock 4 into ‘Pairing mode’
- Press and hold the PS4 controller’s Share button and PlayStation button until the light on the top of the controller starts to flash
- Look at your TV for ‘DualShock 4’ appearing as a Bluetooth devices
- Select it with your PS5 controller and press X
- The PS4 controller should now be paired with the PS5
Hopefully, this has been useful for you and given you some insight as to the possibilities with your old PS4 controllers that may have previously seemed redundant.
For more PS4 and PS5 content, be sure to check out our PlayStation homepage for the latest news and guides.
Is a PS4 controller a viable option for the PS5?
The official answer is yes, but it does have one big shortcoming that restricts its eligibility.
A PlayStation 4 pad can be used on the PlayStation 5, but it can only be used in conjunction with PS4 games on the PS5. If you have a PS5 disc inserted, and you’re trying to use a PS4 controller, then it simply won’t work, you’ll need the PS5 DualSense.
For context, you’ll know it hasn’t worked as the PS5 will generate the following message: “Can’t use the DUALSHOCK 4 wireless controller to play PS5 games.”
Be sure to check out our other guides:
How to force quit on Mac | How to make mac dark mode | How to show hidden files on Mac | How to check airpods battery level | Silence notifications on iPhone | How to turn iPhone off | How to share location on iPhone | How to delete contacts on iPhone | How to make folders on iPhone
If you click on a product link on this page we may earn a small affiliate commission.
- How to Turn Off Call Forwarding – iPhone and Android
- Ways to block or hide your number when making calls
- Alcohol Ink Art – How to use Alcohol Inks for your Art
- What time is the World Series tonight? TV schedule, channel to watch postponed Astros vs. Phillies Game 3
- How to turn off Sticky Keys in Windows and disable the shortcut